Outline of the day
- Background on WordPress Template Hierarchy: http://codex.wordpress.org/Template_Hierarchy
- Download the TwentyTwelve-2.19.13 theme: twentytwelve-2.19.13.zip
- Page Templates
- Open the test-page.php page template file.
- Create a page that uses that template
- Have it use sidebar-new.php instead of sidebar.php
- Duplicate sidebar.php and rename it sidebar-new.php
- Add Link to RSS feed in the sidebar-new.php using the bloginfo() Template Tag: http://codex.wordpress.org/Function_Reference/bloginfo
- Add in a tag cloud using the wp_tag_cloud() template tag http://codex.wordpress.org/Function_Reference/wp_tag_cloud
- We will also talk about template tag arguments and use them for the wp_tag_cloud()
- Conditional Tags
- What are they
- Examples of Conditional Tags
This starts in chapter 3 in the book. We are going to start this out. We might not get to it until Thursday.
- What is the loop
- Download modified Twenty Ten theme and follow along in the book.
- Below are some images that help clarify what the book asks you to do
- This file contains a basic loop: BasicLoop.php
The Basic Loop
Asking for a particular loop file using get_template_part()
Adding in the Excerpt
Removing Filters in functions.php
Adding CSS to style.css’