Assignment 3 The Loop
Turning it in
For this assignment I need to be able to see your code. So you won’t give me the URL. Instead do the following
- Zip the theme folder (make sure you changed the name of the folder and the theme name in style.css as outlined in Step 1).
- Upload the zipped folder to Blackboard for Assignment #3
We will start this assignment in class on 2.21.13. No single thing in the assignment is extremely difficult but there are a lot of small things you need to do for everything to work. This is part of the assignment and part of working with WordPress.
The ovearll assignment is to create a new page template the uses three custom Loops to out put a featured post and two lists of posts. The following is the breakdown of how you should accomplish that.
- Start with this Custom Loop theme that is based on Twenty Ten and modify it as follows:twentyten-chapter3-customLoop.zip
- Edit the folder name to have your name on the end like: TwentyTen-CustomLoop-ChrisStein
- Open the files in your text editor and in style.css, change the Theme Name to have your name at the end like: Theme Name: Twenty Ten – Custom Loop – Chris Stein. Make sure to Save Your Work
- Setup your Posts as follows: (you need to be connected to the Internet to install the importer) This is the same set of sample posts we imported in the first week.
- First, create what will become the Featuerd Post. (1)Make a new post, (2)give it a title and (3)dummy content and then (4)create a new category named Featured Posts and (5) assign that to the post.
- Download the sample posts file: http://donalyza.com/projects/wordpress-sample-blog-content/
- Import the Sample Blog Posts: Tools > Import > WordPress.
- It should then ask you if you want to install the plugin. Install it.
- Click Activate Plugin and Run Importer
- Choose the files you downloaded above
- CLick to Import. Assign your admin as the author. You should now have a bunch of posts.
- Set up a custom front page
- Create a new Page. Name it what you like (but Front Page might make it easy to remember)
- Assign it the Custom Front Page template
- Publish it
- Go to Settings > Reading in the Dashboard.
- Select Static Front Page
- Set the page you just created as the front page. You can either leave blank or set whatever page you like as the posts page.
- Add the Loops to the Custom Front Page templat. Use the examples in Chapter 3 in the book. Look in the Featured Posts with Multiple Loops section of the chapter. I’m only asking for three loops, but if you want to do four like in the book you can add another category.
- Make one loop that shows the post in the Featured Posts category
- Make another loop that outputs the posts in Category 1
- Make another loop that outputs the posts in Category 3
- Styling the posts is optional. We will talk about that more in future classes. However it’s good practice to give it a try and see if you can figure it out.