This assignment is to create a WordPress Theme from the given static, HTML and CSS files.
Begin with these HTML and CSS files: Assignment4_Files.zip
Create a Theme with the following:
- style.css – the default stylesheet, Make sure Your Name is in the Theme Name
- index.php – the default page template. Should use content.php in the loop
- content.php – To show a post in the WP Loop
- header.php – doctype, head element, opening body element and navigation
- footer.php – close tags left open in header.php, footer
- sidebar.php – widgetized sidebar area.
- functions.php – need this to register the sidebar. Sidebar will need custom (before_widget, after_widget, before_title, after_title).
- single.php – the template for showing a single Post
- content-single.php – To show a single Post in the WP Loop
- comments.php – this is the template that shows comments. You will need to come up with the HTML and CSS and try to keep it consistent with the rest of the design.
- Keep links to reset.css, font-face.css and the Oswald Google Web Font working
- The menu at the top and the menu at the bottom should be WordPress menus and not static HTML.
Due Date and Turning it in
The assignment is due Friday, March 22
Turn it in by ziping your theme folder, Your Name and the assignment 4 should be part of the folder name, and uploading that zip file to Blackboard for Assignment 4.
Assignment 3 The Loop
Turning it in
For this assignment I need to be able to see your code. So you won’t give me the URL. Instead do the following
- Zip the theme folder (make sure you changed the name of the folder and the theme name in style.css as outlined in Step 1).
- Upload the zipped folder to Blackboard for Assignment #3
There didn’t used to be an Assignment section on Blackboard but there is one now.
We will start this assignment in class on 2.21.13. No single thing in the assignment is extremely difficult but there are a lot of small things you need to do for everything to work. This is part of the assignment and part of working with WordPress.
The ovearll assignment is to create a new page template the uses three custom Loops to out put a featured post and two lists of posts. The following is the breakdown of how you should accomplish that.
- Start with this Custom Loop theme that is based on Twenty Ten and modify it as follows:twentyten-chapter3-customLoop.zip
- Edit the folder name to have your name on the end like: TwentyTen-CustomLoop-ChrisStein
- Open the files in your text editor and in style.css, change the Theme Name to have your name at the end like: Theme Name: Twenty Ten – Custom Loop – Chris Stein. Make sure to Save Your Work
- Setup your Posts as follows: (you need to be connected to the Internet to install the importer) This is the same set of sample posts we imported in the first week.
- First, create what will become the Featuerd Post. (1)Make a new post, (2)give it a title and (3)dummy content and then (4)create a new category named Featured Posts and (5) assign that to the post.
- Download the sample posts file: http://donalyza.com/projects/wordpress-sample-blog-content/
- Import the Sample Blog Posts: Tools > Import > WordPress.
- It should then ask you if you want to install the plugin. Install it.
- Click Activate Plugin and Run Importer
- Choose the files you downloaded above
- CLick to Import. Assign your admin as the author. You should now have a bunch of posts.
- Set up a custom front page
- Create a new Page. Name it what you like (but Front Page might make it easy to remember)
- Assign it the Custom Front Page template
- Publish it
- Go to Settings > Reading in the Dashboard.
- Select Static Front Page
- Set the page you just created as the front page. You can either leave blank or set whatever page you like as the posts page.
- Add the Loops to the Custom Front Page templat. Use the examples in Chapter 3 in the book. Look in the Featured Posts with Multiple Loops section of the chapter. I’m only asking for three loops, but if you want to do four like in the book you can add another category.
- Make one loop that shows the post in the Featured Posts category
- Make another loop that outputs the posts in Category 1
- Make another loop that outputs the posts in Category 3
- Styling the posts is optional. We will talk about that more in future classes. However it’s good practice to give it a try and see if you can figure it out.
For this assignment you will need to install WordPress either on a server or on your USB drive with Server2Go or something similar. We did this in class but just in case you missed it or need to do it again here are the links to those posts:
Installing WordPress using a free hosting account
Installing WordPress using Server2Go
I would actually recommend to all of you that you have WP installed both on an actual server and on your USB drive. If you do work on the USB you can always transfer the files to the server later (there are different processes for transferring template files and posts and pages, which we will cover later).
- Install WordPress (using either method above)
- Create a Page named About Me and write a little bit about yourself on the page
- Install a new theme (ie don’t use one of the default themes given with the install)
- Write a post with a description of your impressions of WordPress so far (it can be short and should be honest).
Turning in the Assignment
Go to Blackboard and find Assignment #2 in the assignments section and then:
- If you have it installed on a server just give me the URL
- If you have it installed on a USB drive then tell me that is what you did and that you will show me in class.
- Click the submit button
If you’re in class on the first day then you will have basically done this assignment.
The assignment is to
- Create a blog at WordPress.com
- Import the zip file from http://donalyza.com/projects/wordpress-sample-blog-content/. Instructions are on the Welcome Post at the class blog.
- Create a Post of your own
- Create a Page of your own
- Create a Category with your name
- Upload the URL of your blog to the Assignment 1: WordPress.com assignment Blog on Blackboard.
For future reference, most assignments in this class will involve putting something online and then putting the URL into an assignment on Blackboard.